For Lolo with Love

Posted Monday, January 11, 2010 by catherine



By Catherine Q. Dicen





It has been so long seen I haven’t visited my grandparents in Zamboanga Del Sur. The first time I’ve been there was when I was still an infant, a toddler and now; next year I’ll be having my first step to elementary.

The trip via ship was very exhausting but I enjoyed the view very much. Though all I could see is the vast seas and some islands far beyond sight, the excitement deep within me grew much more.

Because papa is working in Malaysia, mama was our only guide there. Mama is the eldest among the 12 siblings. Very industrious Lolo is, isn’t it? (Laughing) When we got there, we took a long ride by a bus going to Pagadian City.

While we were inside the bus, I haven’t controlled my inquisitiveness. I asked my mother, “Mama, how does Lolo look like?” All the passengers who heard my query laughed. Mama did too. I was really puzzled why they have to fall about it. Was that question funny? (Now I know why. It’s so innocent of me!!! Laughing)

I was really disgusted with the smell of vomits inside the bus-yuck! Why does this kind of people get dizzy this easily? In that case, they should not take a trip by bus in the first place. This trip is becoming too unbearable.

When we finally got off the bus, I automatically filled my lungs with fresh air. It’s so nice to be alive after the tiresome spree. I strolled my eyes with the sight that the place beholds; God! This place is paradise.

The simple houses are peacefully opposing each other separated by the highway. At the back of my grandparent’s house is a bountiful rice field. Trees of different kind are artistically bragging their excellence on earth as the midday sun touches their leaves that sway through the caress of the cool breeze. Beside is a flowing river which endorses its crystal clear water. Some of the village people were having there bath there while others enjoyed chatting about anything and everything under the sun.

My grandma welcomed us. She kissed us all; my Ate who readily recognized her kissed her too, my youngest sister who was very sweet (that time because she was still very young, but now I don’t know- evil laugh.). Because I was still surveying the place with my eyes, I didn’t hear my grandma calling me.

But when I do, mama looked at me as if she was going to pinch me. I went straight up to Lola and hugged her so tight as if there’s no tomorrow. I asked, “Where is Lolo, Lola?” She smiled and sadness crossed her eyes for a while and then she smiled and said, “How sweet of you Adhie to have looked for your Lolo.” Then she laughed, “He’s inside. Come, I know he is waiting for you all.” I followed.

The sight of my mother’s old home brought me warm feelings. I know that my mama was happy to be there too after a very long time of living in Dumaguete with my papa.
My eyes then looked for Lolo. He was there.

Tears fell from eyes as I saw him. The thoughts that he was very strong and that he could still carry me were all misconceptions. He was lying on his bed. Cancer embraced and ruptured my once very healthy Lolo. He had a tongue cancer. He was very happy to see us that he tried to get up of his bed but Lola assisted him so that his back leaned on the pile of pillows behind him.

I run to meet his arms. I sobbed at his shoulder. He hugged me and told me how much he missed me; my good old Lolo. I know he was in deep pain. He just endures the pain. He doesn’t eat. He just drinks milk all the time. I sometimes even wonder how he still managed to be strong- maybe it was for us.

The next days we spent there was all fun. I enjoyed my aunts and uncles’ company. One thing I’ll miss when I got home was the river. There were I learned how to swim.

Our two weeks stay in my grandparent’s haven was full of good memories that I wouldn’t give it away for the world. Months passed, while at school, I felt my heart thumped. I don’t know why. When I got home, I was welcomed by my mama’s continuous sob. I went directly to her room. She was holding a telegram telling her that she must go home because our Lolo just passed away.

I cried with my mom. We all wept for the loss of my grandpa. She went to Pagadian and left us with our aunt because we still have classes to attend to. I was really tormented.

Now that Lolo Billy or Lolo Robert Suico Quiao has long been a part of God’s Kingdom and I’m very sure of it. Though we haven’t been together for a very long time yet until now I could still feel his love. I know that he’s watching over me; my ever loved Lolo. Lolo Billy, I love you so much and I am very happy that you are no longer in pain now. Though you are long gone, we could still feel your presence and love. Lolo, I will always remember you. Many years have passed since you left us yet the love still remains the same. We love you Lolo Billy!

 

 

0 comments:

Post a Comment